I’ll never forget my first business plan.
I scribbled it onto the back of a cocktail napkin on a Delta flight from Arizona to Indiana.
I had just attended my very first training session to become a Certified Life Coach, and I was BURSTING with excitement about my new (future) career. I could envision my new life so clearly—working with clients, helping them to set audacious goals and achieve them, and most importantly, NO MORE real estate paperwork! (I was sooo-oo done with real estate sales, and so ready for a big career change.)
I wanted to map out a business plan ASAP.
I grabbed a napkin and I wrote on the back:
- Network your ass off.
- Start with 8 clients a week at $125 per session.
- 4 workshops a year.
- Start a blog.
- Get on local TV.
(I wish I had kept that napkin SO BADLY. I should have framed it. It would look so nice hanging in my office. But I digress…)
Here’s what happened:
In that next year, I graduated from coaching school and I did EVERYTHING that I wrote down on that napkin. I wound up earning $99,500 during my very first year as a coach.
Moral of the story:
Your business plan does NOT have to be complicated. You don’t necessarily need to have 28 different products and services and 47 different ways of spreading the word about your work or a super-complicated mailing list. SIMPLICITY is a huge key to success.
- I know entrepreneurs who churn out business plans that contain 60+ pages of information—but they aren’t making any money.
- I know entrepreneurs who write 6 words on a Post-It note—and then generate 6 figures a year.
- And I know other really smart, talented entrepreneurs who WANT to make a difference in the world but are really struggling with STUCKNESS. Struggling with creating a business plan. Struggling with creating a sustainable business that serves them and the people they want to help.
Because what good is your business if it KILLS you?
As my friend Denise Duffield-Thomas says, “Don’t kill the golden goose.” LOL
After reading the umpteenth email from a smart and hard-working (though stuck) entrepreneur, and because I do recognize that nothing replaces having a mentor say, “…here’s what you do.” I’m gonna help you slay this shit and get. it. done.
My business model is a little more complex than it was 10 years ago, when I scribbled my initial vision on a Delta napkin. I’ve evolved, and my business has evolved too. I offer international retreats and online programs and a couple other things that I didn’t offer 10 years ago, back when I was just getting started. My income has gone up significantly, too. (I earned 7 figures last year and yes I am proud.) But even with all of those changes, my business plan could STILL fit on the back of a napkin.
How about you?
What’s your business, career, or personal goal-plan for 2018?
Is it feeling wobbly and overly complicated? Or tight and focused?
See if you can get the main points of your plan onto the back of a napkin. Seriously, try it. If you can do that, you’ll be right on track.
Simplicity is where it’s at.
But if you are still feeling STUCK. Girl, I got you.
Here’s what’s going to happen in the next round of CLEAR COACHES SELECT (enrollment is open NOW and ONLY until the 10 seats are filled).
- 8 (1 hour) group class calls via zoom…to build strong connections with a community of supportive women who got you, boo! While getting clear on the content and the homework I’m giving you.
- 8 homework challenges…to cut through all the chaos and clutter and millions of other peoples suggestions and get this shit DONE in a way that is ALL AUTHENTICALLY YOU and SUSTAINABLE!
- 4(:30 minute) Coaching Calls with me…to get over any negative thoughts or spots where you’re stuck and struggling to OWN IT and move forward with your bad ass self!
You’ll emerge from this experience with the following:
- An easy to understand business plan.
- A compelling Signature Program to sell.
- A sales funnel designed to sell your program, including a “freebie lead generator.”
- 20 topics for podcasts, blogs, webinars- personalized for your biz and your personality- (Your content calendar for the next 6 months – sorted out!)
- Your newsletter/communication plan for the entire year – (No more wondering, “Uh, what am I supposed to be promoting/talking about right now?”)
- WILD CARD. I will help you create something else if there is a missing link you need.
All this awesomeness, in addition to amazing friendships, coaching, inspiration, and shattering old beliefs, etc.