Years ago, we had Ryan tested for food allergies and sensitivities two different times.
As it turned out, he was highly sensitive to many things, including wheat, gluten, dairy, egg, peanut and soy. For almost two years, we ate a diet of whole foods that excluded those things, and it honestly wasn’t that big of a deal (for me). Simple choices of organic meat, fruits and veggies. Simple though not always easy, especially when a 10 year old just wants a cheeseburger.
I was just cooking and eating that way in solidarity with my boy, and noticed that I felt amazing once I was in the swing of it. I wasn’t expecting that.
However, over time, while we are mostly pretty healthy eaters, I’ve noticed that we are eating things that feel terrible in my body (blueberry muffins, I am looking at you!) And I also really slacked off on my green smoothies. Little by little. My energy has suffered some as well as my mental focus.
So, I’m making a commitment to be more even more loving with my body. Paying closer attention. Power food options at the ready.
That being said, yesterday I had some delicious buttermilk blueberry pancakes. They were divine. Until they made me so incredibly sleepy. GAH!
- 2 large bananas (7 ounces)
- 2 eggs
- 1/8th tsp. baking powder
- A few dashes of cinnamon
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and baking soda and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, use the back of a fork to mash your bananas until they are broken down but still a little bit chunky (this helps keep the pancakes fluffy).
- Pour the egg mixture into the banana mixture and add a few dashes of cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Heat a small non-stick pan over a medium high heat and coat wit coconut oil, butter or cooking spray. Drop about 2 tbsp. of batter per pancake in the pan (these pancakes can be tricky to flip so keeping them small is super important).
- Cook just until the edges of the pancakes become translucent and the center has set up. Flip and cook for another minute or until the pancakes are cooked through.
- Continue until you are done with all of the batter. Enjoy!