I’m so excited to introduce Style on my blog! Fun Fridays will never be the same. Considering that I spend most weekdays sweaty and working from home, rocking out my athletic wear, by Friday, I’m absolutely thrilled to take more time getting dressed up for weekend fun. Whether it’s just my bikini and a cute hat at the lake, or a GNO outfit complete with leather pants (holla!), let’s have some fun with this. Every Friday I’ll be sharing my favorite fashion trends and ideas.
Focusing on your personal style is not “superficial” — it can be empowering and spiritual. Getting dressed can be a personal growth opportunity every single day (“What would make me feel powerful today?” “What would make me feel sexy today?” “What kind of message do I want to give myself and others today?”)
Take it from RuPaul on why it is not frivolous to care about your body and appearance:
“It’s like saying to your Creator, ‘I love it! I’m gonna decorate it!’”
Here are a few photos of one of my favorite style icons, Reese Witherspoon:
And a little inspiration from hotties I know in real life!
To get you thinking about your own personal style, check it:
- Who are your style icons? (Friends, family, celebrities, designers, historic figures, fictional characters, etc.)
- If you could wear absolutely anything you wanted, and nobody would object or raise an eyebrow, what would you wear most days?
- Do you ever see certain people and feel “jealous” of their style? What starts running through your mind when you feel that twinge of jealousy? (“I wish I could wear that… I wish I had the body for that… I wish I could afford that…” etc.)
- How do you want to feel when you get dressed every day?
- When have you felt the most sexy / gorgeous / electric / alive? What were you doing and wearing? What was happening in your life at that time?
- When you meet someone with incredible personal style, you immediately sense what that person is all about. Without exchanging a single word, you just “get” them. (“Oh, this lady believes that life should be an amazing party!” “Wow, this guy is so minimalist and zen. I feel calmer just being near him. I want to take a deep breath and chill out.”) What kind of “message” or “feeling” do you want your personal style to broadcast out into the world?
- Out & about: get inspired by boutiques where you love and cute street style. Write down style ideas. Take photos. Start to build a “style file” or a pinterest board filled with inspiration to take home.
To wrap things up, here’s a few of my personal fav style shots:
So, how do you want to feel when you get dressed every day?